Tallulah Falls sweeps past Highlands on Alumni Night
TFS Athletics – Both varsity basketball teams were victorious over the Highlands Highlanders on Dec. 13 with an audience that included visiting alumni.
Between the varsity games, three new members of the Athletic Legends Hall of Honor were recognized – Ralph Daniel, Class of 1967, Mike Kemp, Class of 1969 and Chris Pic, Class of 1988 [see related story].
During the first half of the boys varsity game, the Indians battled a tough and resilient Highlands team, according to Head Coach Cody Coleman.
“Early on the scoring was back and forth; however, after the first half TFS jumped out to a 44-24 lead. At the start of the third quarter, the Highlanders went on a run closing the 20 point deficit,” Coleman said.
“Led by seniors Hayden Johnson of Demorest with 28 points and Matthew Weidner of Clarkesville with 20 points, the Indians were able to hold off the Highlanders to win the game 80-56.”
vs WEST HALL
The TFS varsity Indians picked up a second win over the weekend with a victory on Dec. 14 against the West Hall Spartans.
“Throughout the entire game, both teams played extremely hard defense keeping the scoring to a minimum,” said Head Coach Cody Coleman.
“However, several plays changed the momentum of the game helping the Indians secure the victory.”
At the end of the first half, senior Winston Davis of the Bahamas hit three free throws to put TFS up by five. At the start of the second half, the Indians went on a run by holding the Spartans to only eight pts in the third quarter, Coleman said.
“Toward the end of the game, West Hall made one final attempt to steal a victory from TFS,” Coleman said.
In the final stretch of the game, freshman Devonte Allen of the Bahamas secured numerous critical rebounds helping defend off the surging Spartans,” he said.
After the final buzzer sounded, the Indians were on top 52-45. Davis led the team with 12 points and Allen led the team with nine rebounds.
The Lady Indians secured their third win in a row on Dec. 13, beating the Highlanders 58-47.
“After dropping a game to the Lady Highlanders during the first week of the season, the Lady Indians were able to even the score with their 58-47 win Friday night,” said Head Coach Brandy Corbett. “This improved their record to 6-3 on the season.”
- Freshman Veronaye Charlton of the Bahamas had 16 points, six rebounds, three assists, and two deflections.
- Freshman Denika Lightbourne of the Bahamas also scored 16 points, pulled in seven rebounds, had five deflections, and collected four steals.
- Senior Lillie Free of Clarkesville chipped in 15 points, along with five rebounds, three steals, and four steals.
- Junior Katy Corbett of Lakemont had a double-double on the evening, with 11 points, 11 rebounds, and four assists.
- Other solid performances on the evening for the Lady Indians were from sophomore Barrett Whitener of Clayton with three rebounds, two defections, and a steal and junior Abby Carlan of Baldwin with seven rebounds.
Photos courtesy of Tallulah Falls School